Skip to main content

A New Perspective

In class, we just watched the movie “O’ Brother, Where Art Thou?” and compared it with how Homer’s The Odyssey story progresses. I saw the movie about two years ago for the first time before ever really knowing the story of TheOdyssey, so it was really interesting to see it now and be able to have a new perspective after having read The Odyssey.
I remember when I watched it for the first time, I made the connection between the sirens in the movie and what I knew about the sirens in the real story. My dad also pointed out to me the connection between Big Dan in the movie and the Cyclops from The Odyssey. Those were pretty much the only similarities I was able to detect before understanding the full plot of the epic poem by Homer.
Watching the movie after having read the poem, however, gives it a whole new fun perspective! I never knew that Odysseus was coming home to face a bunch of suitors, and that that was a large part of the plot of the actual Odyssey. So now, seeing Everett return to find the man courting his wife (pointed out to be a “suitor” several times by one of his daughters), I can see another big connection between the movie and the poem.
Something I wondered this time while watching the movie, though, was which character could be seen as a parallel to Athena? Definitely there aren’t always parallels between parts of the movie plot directly to the Odyssey, but Athena was such a major character in the poem that you would think the movie would have some sort of Athena character.
Another great part of this movie was the songs. I can see how the Soggy Bottom Boys would attract a crowd of fans in the 1920s and I think it would have been fun in the actual Odyssey to see some musical numbers performed by Odysseus and his crew.

Comments

  1. The absence of Athena is one notable part of Oh Brother (although as we pointed out in class, Everett does seem to have some divine help in his own journey). I think it's down to the different time periods - while in American Mythology, we have precedents for stories involving manifestations of the devil, manifestations of God (or other friendly deities) are less common. Therefore, Athena's heavy-handed way of interfering with the story wouldn't really work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. It's kind of weird that the main instigator of the plot of the Odyssey is pretty much absent in Oh Brother Where Art Thou? I also really enjoyed the music in the movie. I can totally imagine watching this without reading the Odyssey and interpreting things differently, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The songs were definitely one of my favorite parts of the movie and I find myself listening to Man of Constant Sorrow probably more than I should. It was interesting hearing your perspective on watching O Brother, Where art Thou before knowing it was based on The Odyssey and then later realizing more of the connections. I agree with you that it's weird there's no obvious Athena character. Something I was considering is is Athena the dam flooding? Because that is what Ulysses drives his mission with, and what eventually saves them in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Eurylochus Was Right

            As a class we’ve discussed the trend throughout  The Odyssey  so far that shows Odysseus as an unreliable character. This shouldn’t come as a surprise to us as the very first line states that Odysseus is “a complicated man” (1. 1). The storyteller intentionally makes it very clear to us that Odysseus will not always do the right thing, but despite that he’s still the hero of the story. We’ve also discussed that in books 5-12 (the wanderings), Odysseus is narrating much of the story to us. Since he is the only witness to his stories, he could be embellishing or twisting the truth to make himself more of a hero.             One of the characters that comes off poorly in his story is Eurylochus. Eurylochus is first described as causing destruction to the journey by requesting that the men stay at the island of the sun god because they’re tired. Odysseus describes that after Eurylochus’ speech “I saw a spirit must be plotting our destruction” (12. 297). Odysseus describing h

Thank You

This is my last blog post of my high school career. That means that initially I didn’t have a lot of motivation to write it, but then I started thinking about what I would write about and I realized I have learned a lot from this class (from all my Mitchell classes, actually) and that I could take some time to reflect and collect some of that information. Maybe I’ll refer back to this blog post in college when I want to remember what it was like to have an actually interesting English class with cool books and lively discussions! Before I talk about Hero’s Journey, I would like to say to any Junior reading this: take History as Fiction. That was my favorite class in all my time at Uni and it actually changed my viewing of the world, literature, the media, and all of history. This semester in English also taught me a lot. I thought it was really interesting to see all the different types of heroes that have existed. Recently I’ve been thinking about all the books I haven’t read, a

Is Anse Redeemable?

This contains SPOILERS for the last TWELVE PAGES of the book!! Throughout the story  As I Lay Dying , there was a lot of question about whether Anse was on a noble journey or if he was just going to town for his own selfish reasons. It seemed at first like maybe he was being a good husband. At the beginning of the journey he makes a lot of reference to Addie having a “dying wish” to be buried in Jefferson. We later learn that Addie asked this as a type of torture from beyond the grave for her family, but Anse doesn’t know that. So at first I felt some pity for Anse, his wife had just died and he wanted to do one last romantic gesture for her. Anse also made a big deal of his children “flouting the dead” by all wanting to go to town for their own reasons (like Cash and his carpentry job or Jewel and his horse). Meanwhile, we know that Anse is going to town because he wants to get himself a set of teeth. While this is an understandable need, it is hypocritical of him to be upset a